Conferences, Workshops and Speeches
The Institute of Ismaili Studies - Summer Programme on Islam 2015
|Summer Programme on Islam 2015|
This seven-day residential programme on Islam is open to post-graduate students, entrepreneurs and professionals from the Jamat. All applicants must have proficiency in English and an undergraduate degree.
The programme aims to:
Provide participants with the knowledge, perspectives and tools to develop a civilisational approach to the understanding of Islam and Muslim societies.
Situate the Ismaili tariqah within the larger context of Islam.
Raise questions, reflect upon and engage in discussions on contemporary issues facing Muslim societies and diasporic Muslim communities.
Provide a forum in which participants and faculty can develop frameworks and vocabulary to engage with the issues explored during the programme.
Through a series of discussions on salient issues that impact Muslims today, this programme will seek to develop an informed understanding of the factors that have influenced historical developments and contemporary expressions of Islam which continue to shape contemporary Muslim societies. Speakers at the programme will be leading scholars from the IIS as well as eminent professors from prestigious universities in Europe and North America. Among the themes the programme will touch on are the following: Approaches to the study of Islam; the historical importance and contemporary relevance of the Qur’an and the Prophet Muhammad; situating Imamat as a model of authority and leadership in Muslim traditions; law and its Muslim contexts; and contemporary landscape of the Muslim ummah.
- There are a limited number of places available for this programme.
- All applicants must have proficiency in English and an undergraduate degree or equivalent.
- Participants will be selected on the basis of their personal statements, academic and professional background, Jamati and wider community activities as well as their command of the English language.
- Telephone interviews to ascertain English language proficiency may be conducted with shortlisted candidates.
- IIS and ISMC graduates or those who have attended the Summer Programme on Islam previously are not eligible to apply.
- Participants of the International Training Programme (ITP) or those who have completed either IWTP or PTEP are not eligible to apply.
- Handwritten and late applications will not be accepted.
· The completed application form should be submitted online latest by 12 April 2015 midnight (2400 BST).
- Contribution is CAD $1500 which includes boarding and lodging in Toronto as well as course materials for the duration of the programme.
- Participants will be responsible for purchasing their own return airfares to Toronto, Canada. They will also be expected to obtain their Canadian visa, where necessary, and cover any associated costs.
- The selection of participants is need-blind. Limited financial assistance may be available towards a portion of the contribution and will be determined on a case-by-case basis.
- Download Application form (word document).
- Save the word document to your computer.
- Fill in the form.
- Once you are ready to submit the completed form, please complete the personal information page and upload the form.
Download Financial Assistance form . If you wish to apply for financial assistance, please download the financial assistance form along with the application form (word documents) and save them to your computer. Once you are ready to submit the completed forms, please complete the personal information page and upload the forms.
For further information or related queries, please contact email@example.com .
Frequently Asked Questions regarding the Summer Progamme.
Click here to read about previous Summer Programmes on Islam.
The 2015 programme is offered in collaboration with
The Ismaili Tariqah and Religious Education Board
The Ismaili Centre, Park and Aga Khan Museum, Toronto.
Last updated: 06/03/2015 18:57