Studying and Preserving Manuscripts and Other Heritage Materials of the Ismaili Communities
18 July – 22 July 2022
21 March 2022
Dr Wafi Momin
About the course
This five-day course aims to introduce key aspects of the study and preservation of heritage materials of the Ismaili communities, including manuscripts, rare printed materials, artefacts, photographs, archives and more. Bringing together participants from ITREBs and interested members of the community, the course will cover theoretical, methodological and practical aspects of the understanding and preservation of these materials and relevant cultural property regulations where applicable. It will focus on building an understanding of the historical and contextual aspects of these materials, observing best practices in their preservation, care and handling, as well as maintaining records and instituting systems in managing these materials. The course will also help participants identify and nurture relationships with potential owners of heritage material and repositories of cultural heritage within ITREBs. Taught by specialist faculty at the IIS, the course will combine historical, theoretical and methodological aspects with hands-on experience of working with relevant examples of actual materials held at the IIS.
Aims of the programme
- Introduce participants to different categories of heritage materials, their historical contexts and distinguishing aspects.
- Facilitate an understanding of different skill sets involved in the study, preservation and managing different categories of heritage materials.
- Explore various aspects of collection care from preservation, conservation, assessment and environmental monitoring to digitisation and record-keeping.
- Provide some skills in identifying potential owners and repositories of cultural heritage within the ITREBs’ jurisdictions and creating relationships with them.
- Provide a hands-on experience of working with actual examples from the heritage materials held at the IIS.
Find out more about other IIS Short Courses.