Publication: An Anthology of Qur’anic Commentaries - Volume I: On the Nature of the Divine
Editors: Dr Feras Hamza and Dr Sajjad Rizvi with Farhana Mayer
Questions addressed in the interview:
1. What role have Qur’anic commentaries played in the shaping of Muslim intellectual life and how do you expect this work to contribute to it?
2. What gap in scholarship on the Qur’an does this work attempt to address and how do you expect it to be used?
3. What criteria were employed to select the verses and the commentaries you have chosen for the book?
4. How would you situate the book vis-à-vis the current trends in scholarship on the Quran and why do you suppose that such an anthology of Qur’anic commentaries
has not emerged thus far?
5. How have the mufassirun addressed the diversity of ways in which people have understood the Quran? What views have they expressed about the plurality of meanings associated with Qur’anic verses?
6. What are the future plans for this series of anthologies?