Eligibility and Application
The Doctoral Scholarships are available to Ismaili students from around the world. The eligibility criteria are as follows:
- Acceptance to a PhD degree: Candidates must provide a copy of an acceptance letter to a university PhD degree programme.
- Academic record: Candidates must have an excellent academic record, including a Master's degree.
- Languages:Candidates are expected to have linguistic competence in at least one language traditionally used by Muslims (ideally, Arabic or Persian), and in European languages (English and, ideally, at least one other). English proficiency must be at the level required by the university where the student has been accepted for a PhD degree.
- Age: There is no age limit, although historically the Scholarship has been awarded to recipients in an age band of 22-35 years.
- Nationality and visa: Students from all countries may apply. Visa requirements are those set by the university where the student has been accepted for a PhD degree. The visa fee and healthcare surcharge will be paid for by the IIS. The Institute will not be involved in the visa application process.
How to apply
- Application form and personal statement of commitment
- Cover letter and CV
- Copies of your graduate-level academic transcripts, including a copy of your Master's degree
- Copy of letter of acceptance to doctoral programme
- Three letters of recommendation (sent directly from your referees to IIS)
- Writing sample (in English, essay level)
- Your doctoral research proposal
Deadline for applications: 31 March (each year)