Eligibility and Application
The Doctoral Scholarships are available to Ismaili students from around the world. The following are the eligibility criteria:
- Acceptance to a PhD degree: Candidates must provide a copy of an acceptance letter to a university PhD degree programme. In exceptional circumstances, when an applicant has not received an acceptance letter by the time of the IIS application deadline, evidence of an application to a university may be considered conditionally.
- Academic record: Candidates must have an excellent academic record, including a Masters’ degree.
- Languages: Candidates are expected to have linguistic competence in at least one language traditionally used by Muslims, ideally Arabic or Persian, and in European languages (English and ideally at least one other). English proficiency must be at the level required by the university where the student has been accepted for a PhD degree.
- Age: There is no age limit, although historically the Scholarship has been awarded to an age band of between 22-35 years.
- Nationality and visa: Students from all countries may apply. Visa requirements are those set by the university where the student has been accepted for a PhD degree. The visa fee and healthcare surcharge will be paid for by the IIS. The Institute will not be involved in the visa application process.
How to apply
- Application form and personal statement of commitment
- Cover letter and CV
- Copies of your graduate-level academic transcripts, including a copy of your Master's degree
- Copy of letter of acceptance to doctoral programme
- Three letters of recommendation (sent directly from your referees to IIS)
- Writing sample
- Your doctoral research proposal
Deadline for applications: 31 March (each year)